Friday, November 9, 2012

Opposite DAY!!

Well, didn't quite make the once a week update goal, but I came close! Just missed one week.

In my defense (not that anyone is attacking) I have been quite busy, the term is winding down to a close, and my todo list is lengthening by the day. Plus I've been juggling the logistics of the hotel move.

I almost have everything planned out, now I just need to cover up the elbow geese and tackle this todo list.
You all can skip this next part, as I feel writing out my full todo list right now will help me mentally organize a bit.

In no particular order: Existentialism Term paper
                                  Ethics Term Paper and reflection on last two classes.
                                  Logic proofs and study for exam
                                  Laundry and cleaning
                                  Figure out bus times and routes
                                  Catch up on reading
                                  Save the Whales

Ahhhh it seems like a lot, can't say I haven't felt overwhelmed a few times this week, but enough talk of business, on to things on my mind.

First, my view on how others hold views, this has been coming to the surface for me more and more.
Someone else mentioned having the same problem to me last night, the view in question there is racism.
My friend wondered how anyone could still have a view that endorse racism, in-particular the idea that those of other races should not "mix."
While I completely agree, I wonder what views I myself, might personally hold, that might be looked on in the same way by others.
I am sure that some, if not all, of my more "out of the box" views might be deemed by others stupid, or annoying. I never intend for this to be the case, if it is so, I apologize for my areas of ignorance and lack of understanding.
I do think, that I would like people to at least point out these areas to me, I might not agree or understand right away, but I will listen to your rational and consider your position. Some people however will not.
I wonder how much responsibility one has,  if any, on the task of helping to destroy views of hate, or views springing from ignorance, it seems to me that claiming such a responsibility also seems to claim that an objective truth is out there.
Maybe there is, maybe there is not, but it seems that even if there is not an objective truth, that some views simply make more sense than others.


But I digress on that topic, my overall current stance is that I do not know how one should act when in those situations.

My next topic is on the idea of no-self.
There's an argument for it, I am not going to post it (yet) or discuss it (yet) on this blog, assuming it does succeed, I shouldn't make such assumptions I know, my current question is this: What is the thing or entity experiencing if there is no self?
This question is crucial for the Buddhist argument, as there is obviously some experience(s), and something(s) experiencing. Even if the argument does hold, and there is no known place to pin the self, this question will remain.

The last thing on my mind I won't get into here, but it weighs heavy.

I hope everyone has a wonderful thanksgiving!

                                 

The adjective for this post was : Hopeful

No comments:

Post a Comment